Lawyer? Get Listed

Can I Sue For A False Drug Arrest In Kansas

A false drug arrest occurs under the classification of an unjust apprehension or unlawful imprisonment occurs when someone wrongfully detained against their will or is taken right into detention for drugs. Many false arrests usually start as a false complaint, in which an unproven or unsubstantiated allegation is given against an individual. False allegations happen as the result of deliberate lying or unintended scenarios involving faulty information. It can also occur because of deliberate or unexpected suggestive examining, or faulty interviews and questioning.

Unlawful arrest and, in some situation, faulty accusations, are criminal activities and a public harm, enabling the victim to sue for damages in a civil lawsuit.

Police Officers Making False Arrests

Lots of people believe that whenever authorities commit unlawful or false arrest, they usually have a major lack of proof– but this is not the case. Both private individuals and law enforcement agents can make this crime based on the way a person behaved in the past or outside of the range of their authority. An instance would be if a cop apprehends somebody because that individual ridiculed the officer or did something the officer really did not like. Since it is not unlawful to disrespect an officer, the policeman is the one who is acting illegally. Within this scenario, it is possible, though highly unlikely, that a prosecutor could require the officer included with unlawful arrest.

It should be noted that the defendant has no right to resist arrest, even if they recognized that the basis for the apprehension was untrue. Getting physical when resisting an arrest might land the defendant behind bars, and it is because of this that most criminal defense attorneys counsel their client never to literally fight an arrest. Doing so can easily result in you being harmed, arrested and jailed because only a court can decide if an arrest is legal or illegal. It is best to save the fight for the courtroom.

Private Individuals Committing False  Arrest

Anyone who holds someone else without that person’s consent and without lawful authority commits the crime of false arrest, which includes private individuals like guards. Private security guards are legally allowed to momentarily detain someone suspected of theft in order to check out the situation or hold that person until the police show up, but only if they are fairly certain that the person is shoplifting.

Suppose that a security guard approaches a shopper and didn’t witness the shopper exit with unpaid goods (nor did anyone else). If he were to use force, the threat of force, or normally limits the shopper without consent or lawful reason, the guard is committing illegal detention.

The Difference between False Arrests and Bad Arrests

Imagine someone whom the police apprehended based on another person’s testimony. The proof later shows the sworn declaration was incorrect or the person without reservation lied. If the police apprehend the person on a certification issued as a result of manufactured statements, this is referred to as a “bad arrest.”

You see, as long as the judge found the statement reasonable during the time, the police acted correctly in making the arrest. If a court discovers the truth, the defendant is released. Within this circumstance, there is no chance the discharged defendant can take action against the police for false arrest; nevertheless, the individual making the false allegations might be sued for any damage suffered, along with being apprehended and locked up for swearing a false oath.

You Can Sue for False Accusations

The impact of false accusations may be ravaging to a particular person’s credibility and reputation. Common types of false allegations include child abuse, drug abuse, or the commission of any crime. A victim of false allegation can sue for defamation, which may either be in the form of slander, libel or defamation of character.

Defamation of character concerns the act of making misleading statements about a person which blemishes or taints his/her reputation. Smear campaign can either be libel or aspersion. Slander is an incorrect statement produced with the purpose of harming a personal credibility. So in order to be successful in court, the person must have made the declarations maliciously to damage the reputation of a person for their own personal reasons. Libel implies any false and harmful published statements with the intent to ruin someone’s reputation. Like aspersion, to prove libel in court it has to be revealed that the published allegations were not only disparaging and offensive but also made in malice.

A false complaint is considered by the courts as being in the abusive category, and damages for such false statements are assumed and do not have to be validated. You can successfully sue somebody for wrongly accusing you of acts that did not happen or actions which did happen, but you are wrongly being accused. These persons can include law enforcement agents that acted without probable cause or anyone who acts with malicious intent. The matter of false allegation in the criminal sphere is so severe that proof of loss does not need to be shown by the victim before they can obtain damages.

Disregarding a Civil Right

When a person has been falsely apprehended, they sometimes file a charge alleging a violation of their humans rights, otherwise referred to as “Section 1983” suits. They are called this because they were named after the federal law, United States code section 1983, and because of this they are tried in a federal district court.

Individuals most typically file 1983 cases after the use of excessive or unreasonable force although acting in their official capacity, referred to as acting “under color of law.” If the police, as an example, obtain a warrant to browse your property and, while executing the search, decided to use mace on you and your family while you were making a complaint, their excessive force violated your legal civil rights and you can sue them. If, however, you get into a fight with a non-uniformed, off-duty policeman, that officer is probably not representing a representative of the state and you probably can’t demand civil liberties infractions.

Individuals Needing A Lawyer

If you feel you’ve been apprehended, related to a drug cases without basis, or if you consider the police are acting outside their appropriate authority, you should talk to a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. You should really never create any declarations or submit a grievance with the police or investigators until you’ve had an opportunity to speak with a legal representative. If you feel your rights have been disregarded because of a false drug arrest, or you need someone to represent you against unlawful charges, contact a defense lawyer as soon as you can.


Recent Posts

Article Summary
Can I Sue For A False Drug Arrest?
A false drug arrest is very common these days. Know your rights and avoid false drug arrests and false accusations.
Kansas Interstate Drug Lawyer
5/5 stars based on 5 customer reviews

The Best.
Kansas Interstate Drug Lawyer was professional, prompt, and supportive during our entire process. Thanks for all your help!

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtain from this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. “” is not a law firm. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Viewing this Website or even contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any information sent to Kansas Interstate Drug Lawyer through email or contact form on the Site is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. Attorney listings are paid attorney advertisements and do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by All operators will only forward your information to attorneys who advertises in your area. See our full disclaimer HERE.